Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Royalty and Romance

We woke up this morning late. It is so hard to have this much fun. I know. No sympathy. Okay. We got up this morning, had breakfast, and went to Versaille. If I were going to die and come back this would be where I would go. I have never seen so much gold and paintings and opulence than here.
Fantastic. Tom and I and probably 30,000 of our closest friends were invited into the king and queen’s private apartments. Almost worth being beheaded for – but not quite. So we went through Versailles and then went to La Flotille for lunch. Tom and I had the salmon wrapped in “paper” pastry and leeks and it was by far more elegant than the plain old chicken and potatoes. We’re finding on this tour that the people with the more adventurous palates are getting the better food. So we ate and then some of the group went off on a bicycle tour and we (Tom and I and Laurent (the native guide) and Eddie (the Disney guide) went and played Petanque which is the French version of bocche ball. Tom and I thought we were winning until the end and Eddie swooped up from behind – a set up at best – then we came back to the hotel and rested for a while and then we went on the Bateaux Parisienne for a dinner cruise which was quite possibly the most romantic thing Tom and I have ever done. You know, there are 37 bridges in Paris, 35 for everyone and 2 for pedestrians only but our server told us when we got to the romance bridge that if we made a wish and kissed it would come true. So Paris, we’re comin’ back. This time of year the Eiffel Tower sparkles every times it is the hour and it’s gorgeous. So we caught a taxi back to the hotel, called it a night, and tomorrow we have the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and our final dinner. That will be way WAY sad. So tonight, from Paris, in a very romantic mood, this is your Paris correspondent saying I’ll post again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Chiemi said...

Sooooo cool!!! Ahh, someday I'll get to tour Europe.