Thursday, July 22, 2010

Aloha from Hawaii - Day 2

Day 2 started out bright and early for us. We went to Pearl Harbor and had heard that it was best if we went as early as possible. It opened at 7:30 and we got there early and stood in line for a bit to get it and it started raining on us. It is a very weird feeling to be warm while being rained on. Made me feel like I was sweating - very odd. But standing in the rain was worth it because right after it stopped a beautiful rainbow appeared very brightly. It kept sprinkling on and off throughout the day and every time it stopped you could see rainbows. Here's mom with one of the rainbows.



We went on the Bowfin first and man, it was small. I would hate to have to go through those doors in a hurry. I would totally create a traffic jam. It was very interesting. The audio tour was good too. Gave a deeper understanding of what it was like on the submarine. I would have liked to be able to shoot these big guns though...



After that it was interesting to go over to the Arizona memorial and see the diagrams of what it looked like before it's destruction and what it looks like now. I was very interested to learn that it's actually leaking oil and there was so much and it's such a slow leak that it will be leaking oil for a very long time to come. After that, we headed over to the Missouri and it was BIG. From across the harbor, it doesn't look as big as it is - especially when some even bigger ships had entered the harbor earlier that day. It was nice to be able to compare the size of the Missouri and Bowfin...huge difference. My feet were very sore after we were done going through the whole place. The audio tour on the Missouri was also quite well done.



Also of interest that I learned was the Missouri was used not only in WW2 but also 2 other wars afterwords and so there was an interesting mix of technology on that one ship. I also learned that the Tomahawk missiles cost a TON of money EACH (So all in all, Millions and Millions of dollars worth!!!)! It's crazy!

After Pearl Harbor we did a bit of shopping where I found a kimono just for Christy! If only it were in her size!



After resting for a while we went and had OKONOMIYAKI!! I was so excited. It was super good and SUPER filling though I was kinda disappointed that I didn't realize that there were differences in their selections and that I didn't get the type I had had previously in Japan. Oh well. And I had a super good potato side dish before my meal that was to die for. With potato slices, onions, cheese and a tomato sauce that made my mouth so happy. Here's my yummy okonomiyaki that I only managed to finish half of...



And after a bit more shopping at the mall the okonomiyaki place our day was done.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Your mother is either Rainbow Brite or a unicorn.

Chiemi said...

That kimono is SO cute!!